A workplace where employees or visitors can easily understand how an area operates based on signs, labels, and other visual cues is often referred to as a visual workplace. These cues can include placards on walls and/or machinery showing operating procedures, equipment labels, signs with important reminders, and inventory level markers, as well as floor markings.
Most large, profitable manufacturing companies have created visual workplaces, as visuals are key to Lean manufacturing and 5S processes. By placing critical workplace information where it is needed, these companies have experienced less ‘lost time’ related to employee confusion and errors.
Floor marking, though often overlooked, is a key part of creating a visual workplace. Whether it’s floor signs or floor tape, markings are essential as it makes the space easier to understand. And an easier-to- understand workplace is a more efficient and productive workplace. You can rely on different patterns, colors, messages, and sizes to get your message across.
Some applications of floor marking for efficiency:
- Use floor tape to designate proper locations of tools and equipment. This way, workers can easily and quickly return items to the appropriate area.
- Different colors of floor tape can be used as visual cues for different work areas: finished goods, works in progress, scrap, etc.
- Workflow can be streamlined with floor markings that indicate the flow of a product through the manufacturing process.
- Create dedicated recycle, trash, or red tag areas in a Lean facility.
- Remind employees of 5S or lean initiatives by using floor signs around the workplace.
- Directional arrows can be used help employees and visitors navigate your facility more quickly
5S Guide: Improve efficiency with effective organization
When the workplace is a mess, processes slow down. 5S, a systematic method for workplace organization, keeps spaces clean and clear of clutter processes. This 5S Guide explains the steps of a 5S program, how to start a program, and what tools you'll need to make 5S a success.
Visual communication is critical to an organized and efficient workplace. Using floor markings for safety will also indirectly impact efficiency. Planning and implementing a well thought out floor marking strategy can drastically improve the productivity of your workplace, dramatically reduce common wastes, and ensure processes are being completed properly.
- Lean 5S Supplies Every Workplace Needs
- The Visual Workplace
- 5S and the Visual Workplace
- 5 Value Added Tips for a Lean Warehouse
- How to Implement a New Safety Sign System
- DOWNTIME = Waste
- The First Pillar of 5S: Sort
- Floor Marking for Forklift Traffic– creativesafetysupply.com
- Improving Safety with Floor Marking– realsafety.org
- Line Marking & Floor Tape– aislemarking.com
- Floor Marking Applications– floor-tape.com
- Floor Marking Tips– floor-marking-tape.com
- Improving Facility Safety With a Visual Communication Strategy– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Floor Marking Guidelines– safetyblognews.com