More often than not the 5S method is implemented into an organization for the purpose of laying a foundation towards future lean methods. 5S is one of the most basic lean methods to implement, but it’s also one of the most important to have concreted into your habits before you can master other lean methods. The problem with looking ahead before you have one method in place is you begin to pile bad habit on top of bad habits with no real results in the end. You have to have 5S success before you can move on in the lean world.
It’s like having a wide-open receiver in football who takes his eye off the pass as it spirals toward him to look at the field ahead. The catch is dropped and the crowd is deprived what would have surely been a wonderful touchdown dance –don’t be that guy!
Not many will argue that increasing productivity and improving efficiency are a bad thing in business. Which is why we see 5S visual workplace methods spread across many organizations. Whether it’s manufacturing or office work, the structure is still the same in order to receive 5S success.
Consider the following when reaching for 5S success in your organization:
- It All Starts With a Plan! Your implementation team must devise a plan that is easily understood and within the companies abilities to accomplish.
- Good Leadership- If the top of the food chain isn’t on board expect nothing less from the rest.
- A Committed Staff- No lean method enjoys success without a fully engaged staff.
- Good Examples- Having a few key focus areas for employees to visually compare are important for them to be able to gauge their own 5S success.
- Nothing is Off Limits- 5S was originally designed for manufacturing floors, but it has proven to be an effective tool anywhere in the workplace.
- Make it Known- Floor marking tape is an inexpensive and low maintenance tool for supporting 5S implementation.
- Accountability- Everyone needs to be accountable for their areas.
- Use Evaluations to Improve- Weekly audits with 5S Team Leaders are a great way to gauge 5S success, don’t forget to post scores!
- Celebrate Progress- Don’t let a good job go unnoticed, take the time to celebrate and point out employees/areas that are enjoying 5S success.
Knowing is Half the Battle
5S Guide: Improve efficiency with effective organization
When the workplace is a mess, processes slow down. 5S, a systematic method for workplace organization, keeps spaces clean and clear of clutter processes. This 5S Guide explains the steps of a 5S program, how to start a program, and what tools you'll need to make 5S a success.
Understanding the keys to success are important, but your actions are even more important. The power of knowledge is meaningless unless you actually apply it towards your actions and routines. Repeated behavior over time, eventually becomes habitual. Which means it takes less energy to complete more work –efficiency!
Remember that your actions will always speak louder than your words. Your colleagues are generally only willing to work as hard or repeat actions that seem necessary to complete the job. Setting the right example is the best way to get others to see the benefits of an embedded 5S mentality.
When your 5S visual workplace is in full operational mode and your team is 100% committed, the possibilities are endless. Initially, you will see a significant reduction in waste, motion, wait times, all while solidifying the foundation you need for the implementation of flow production, visual management and standardized operations.
- Top Ten Suggestions for 5S Success
- Key Ingredients for the Success of a Continuous Improvement Team
- How To Measure 5S Success
- 8 Requirements for Six Sigma Success
- Effective Feedback = Amplified Success
- 5S or 6S
- 5S Training and Research Page | Learn About 5S– creativesafetysupply.com
- Floor Tape + 5S = Success– floor-tape.com
- Top 5 Tips for 5S Success– lean-news.com
- How Kaizen is Imperative to LEAN Success– kaizen-news.com
- 4 Steps to Realizing Gemba Success– iecieeechallenge.org
- Quality Culture Is Key to Success– blog.creativesafetysupply.com